OC's Burning B Vitamins
Certain types of birth control, such as oral contraceptives (birth control pills), can potentially lead to nutrient depletions in the body. These depletions can result from the hormonal and metabolic effects of the birth control and may affect the absorption, utilization, or metabolism of specific nutrients. Some potential nutrient depletions associated with birth control use include:
- B Vitamins: Birth control pills can lead to reduced levels of certain B vitamins, such as B6, B12, and folic acid. These vitamins are essential for energy metabolism, nervous system function, and the formation of red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: Some studies suggest that birth control pills can lower vitamin C levels in the body. Vitamin C is vital for the immune system, skin health, and wound healing.
- Magnesium: Birth control use may lead to magnesium depletion. Magnesium is essential for muscle and nerve function, bone health, and numerous enzymatic reactions in the body.
- Zinc: Zinc levels might also be affected. Zinc is important for immune function, wound healing, and reproductive health.
- Selenium: Selenium, an antioxidant mineral, can be influenced by birth control, as well. It plays a role in immune support and thyroid function.
Additionally if you are planning on trying to get pregnant I recommend starting a good prenatal vitamin with Metra tetrahydropholic Acid (activated Folic Acid) that takes into consideration the MTHFR SNP that some women have.
IF you have questions about any of this information please contact get in touch with one of team members for more information and assistance. To shop our online dispensary click here.